Interested in joining Team Land Trust? It’s easy to become a volunteer! Just sign up for the special monthly volunteer-only email to receive information about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Support land conservation in our community by volunteering with Bear Yuba Land Trust. Volunteers know their efforts directly help protect beautiful landscapes, local agriculture and open space in our community. As a bonus, volunteers have fun!
Here are some of our volunteer activities:
- Lands Stewardship: Riparian restoration, fuel reduction, monitoring easements.
- Build Trails: Create new and maintain existing trails in our community.
- Treks: Act as a Treks assistant, helping with the safety of our outings.
- Youth Programs: Inspire young people to get outdoors and encounter nature.
- Outreach Education: Meet people and talk about the importance of land conservation.
- Office Help: Join the “A Team” with general mailings.
- Special Events: Workshops, outreach, fundraising events, and more.
- Annual Benefit Event: A wide range of activities, from marketing to event staging.
In the Community
Events – In exchange for a few hours of service, you can party for free! Some of our annual events include the end-of-summer gala, farm dinners, Oak Tree Bash, Turkey Trek and more.
- Event support includes: Planning, marketing, graphic design, music, meeting the public, coordinating supplies, postering, catering, setup and cleanup.
Outreach – Share your passion for protecting the land at a BYLT booth during community events such as area farmers markets, street fairs and festivals.
- Hand out brochures, sell T-shirts and trail maps
- Photography – Have an eye for landscapes? Capture the beautiful lands you helped save.
Youth Programs – Do you love working with kids? We do! Help out during youth activities throughout the year.
Treks – If you like people and you like to hike, volunteer to be a trek assistant and hike for FREE. If you have a specialty you’d like to share, volunteer to be a hike leader (we’re always looking for new and interesting outing opportunities). Our treks are fun (and so are our trekkers)!
On the Land
Trails – Together we build community trails. Why work out at a gym when you can wield a shovel and work those muscles building new trails and maintain existing one. Sometimes there is even a beer at the end of a hard day!
- Trail construction: Planning, coordinating work groups, bush-whacking, raking, bridge building
- Trail maintenance: Coordinating work groups, bush-whacking, raking
Restoration/ Stewardship – An important component of BYLT’s environmental program is the restoration work that happens on preserves and conservation easements. Besides eradicating invasive plants like Scotch broom and Himalayan Blackberry, you could be out in the field with BYLT’s stewardship team conducting vegetation surveys or counting Western pond turtles.
- Restoration: Expert assistance, planning, coordinating supplies, leading groups, setup and cleanup, cutting weeds and tree removal
- Conservation projects: Do you have technical expertise in the following areas: Forestry, hydrology, grazing management, fuel reduction, aquatic restoration, wildlife biology or native plants? BYLT would love to team up with you.
For questions, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Mariah Simpson at (530) 272-5994 x204 or email@example.com