Nevada County Government Center Trails


Google Earth

Trail Manager: Nevada County | Contact Public Works (530) 265-1411 / 

Length: 0.6 mile along the Highway 49 front; 0.2 mile in Tobiassen Park

Altitude Change: About 20′ on Rood Center Path; about 60′ from Marsh Pond to Wet Hill Road

Trail Surface: Native Earth, Paved

Trailheads: Rood Center Path begins at the intersection of Highway 49 and North Bloomfield Road, on the northwest corner (N39.26920 W121.02119). The trail along Highway 49 in front of the Rood Center begins on the west side of the entrance drive (N39.26895 W121.02562). There is ample parking for both these trails in the Rood Center main parking lot or along roads near those trails. To get to the Tobiassen Park trails, park in the library’s west parking lot. By foot or bike go about 100 yards up the paved road leading north from the parking lot, staying left. The park entrance and beginning of the path to the pond and picnic area are there (N39.27084 W121.02364). Note: There are two handicapped parking spaces at the park entrance but no general parking.

Trail Facts: The Nevada County Government Center has several nice places to walk, stroll, or ride a bike plus a gem of a little park complete with historic pond, piers and a picnic area. This trail offers a safe and enjoyable way of walking from town to the 85 wooded acres of the Hirschman’s Pond open space preserve west of town. A point of interest along the Highway 49 front is a hydraulic mining display, complete with historic “monitor” water cannons, pipes, and a plaque commemorating the origin of hydraulic mining at nearby American Hill. Tobiassen Park: Tobiassen Park (aka Coyote Park) was named in honor of the late civic leader and county supervisor, Dave Tobiassen. The park is built around a historic reservoir, built in 1861 by pioneer businessman and civic leader Charles Marsh as part of his South Yuba Canal Company system delivering water for hydraulic mining. Look out for an early hand-dug gold mine and a sign explaining that the mine was part of the historic “Coyote Diggins.”

Donate to Trails